Welcome to Da Local

4 kids. 3 dogs. 1 amazing wife. 1 great job. And a huge passion for food. Cooking it, tasting it, growing it. An abiding love and respect for the farmers, artisans and other individuals committed to bringing the best to your table and mine.

Come along for the ride. You can never be quite sure of where we're going, but it will almost always be delicious.

Monday, October 13, 2014

Soupfest in the Holland Marsh

Sorry it took so long to get around to posting this, but it's been a bit of a crazy week!

So, last Saturday, I headed up to the Holland Marsh Soupfest along with my co-worker Stephanie Dadd. We were representing the Omni King Edward Hotel (aka The King Eddie), where we both work.

The night before had been a lot of work. Peter Gaziano, our saucier, had made an amazing lamb broth from the bones we recieved and Stephanie spent hours hand-pulling sheets of Armenian crisp bread and dusting them with z'atar. For my part, I was cooking Israeli cous cous, cutting a mountain of beautiful Holland Marsh vegetables, and grinding lamb to turn into kofta meatballs. 800 meatballs!! Though my co-worker Mario did help with a few.


We arrived at the site in Ansnorveldt and quickly got set up. It's a good thing we did. It seemed that as soon as the soup was hot, the lineups were already starting.


Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get many pictures. However, I can tell you that it was an amazing day in the marsh. The comradery of so many chefs and cooks gathered together was great to see. I'm looking forward to coming back next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment